Thursday 28 July 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - Day 92 to 96

Got some news last night that yet another hiking friend has pulled off trail, to rethink if they'll continue. Apparently it happens a lot on Northern California. After the abundant beauty and water of the Sierras coming down into the dusty, dry and hot NorCal desert knocks a few people about.

I'm more concerned that the cold in Washington will have that affect for me and wreak havoc on my motivation there. Only one way to find out though,  hike on!

Today did feel a little toasty when hiking on an expose piece of trail. Luckily there was at least patchy shade most of the way to Burney Falls state park. Beautiful falls but it was a bit funny to see a few guys fishing for trout in it.



I delivered myself a box here so I was able to pick that up at the store and supplement with a few snacks. Also grabbed a soft drink and icecream to wait out the midday heat. The visitor centre has a nice shade shelter with power and free wifi so it was a good place to rest up.

As I got in late to the ranch and had to do chores before bed I was up much later than normal and certainly felt. Feet sore before lunch, pace slowed and a decent climb ahead I made it to the first water stop before deciding to find camp for the night.

Felt much better in the morning. The day was mostly shaded and a breeze made it a pretty decent temperature to hike in. It still had its own exposed sections though...



After a good nights sleep I was able to go past the planned camp. It meant a heavier water carry as I had to camp dry, but I made dinner at the last creek to save some weight and headed up to a great and fairly protected spot right atop a high saddle. It felt good to get the climb done, despite the feet finally starting to feel sore again with the heavy carry.

Shale rock, dusty path, hot sun and only shrubs with the rare pine tree today reminds me very much of the first few days of hiking. With one notable exception; The distinct lack of hikers. To give you an idea of the attrition rate by this point (or at least support the theory that a lot of hikers skip NorCal) it took nine hours before I saw a fellow Hiker, nine!

At the start I was seeing 20 different people by lunch and even in the Seirras I was seeing 10-15 PCT hikers a day. I know there are people close (2 planned to camp 2 miles ahead of where I stopped and 1 was going to camp where I made dinner) but there is certainly more solitude on the trail now.

While there is less people to split the bugs with, other wildlife is more abhndant too. Heaps of deer about some with really big antlers. I was also very excited to see my first Bear!! As soon as he saw me he bolted off so I wasn't able to get a picture. Not a full grown but certainly bigger than a cub.



It was almost an instant change into for rest and creeks again after a few hours of hiking. Didn't see one north bound PCT hiker all day. Path is most definitely greener here. Overgrown undergrowth covering the trail. Warning in the area about poison oak near trail so I was keeping an eye out at first... though not 100% on what it looks like.if I hit some I'm not affected by it.



Made it to the next stop though and got a lift into Shasta city where some friends arrived in the morning. Will take the day to recharge and resupply. The people in town are really proud of their untreated spring water. Miraculous apparently, tastes ok I guess...



Great dinner out with hikers before a good sleep. Big breakfast before shopping and then a KFC bucket for lunch. Easy afternoon now and will probably watch the new Bourne movie tonight before getting back to the trail tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Christine Grattan29 July 2016 at 10:48

    Good to see the photos again.
    It was a big roast dinner last night at out place and then Daniel and Vanessa came up for dessert and showers. We are now at Kristie's place minding both Callum and Kristina. Kristie I'd getting a car service and Luke and Alex have left for Melbourne. Callum is enjoying Kristina's room full of toys😀

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  2. How goes it ?

    We're pretty much done now, but in a couple of weeks (after chalks wedding) we still plan on taking ~10 days to get home.

    Have you sorted out the visa issues yet, or is that still a work in progress ?

    As for the thermal pools/lakes, not sure you sore the news (x2) regarding Yellowstone, but probably best you take head of the signs . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything still good. Visa will play by ear when I try reenter and I'll stick to hot showers :o

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger