Sunday 14 August 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - Day 105.5 to 113

After letting the amazing breakfast from the Seiad Valley Cafe digest we set off up the hill. We didn't make it very far before finding a swimming hole some locals had clued us in on. I'm not sure if the water was warmer or it was just so hot in the valley sun on a steep climb but I managed to stay in for at least 3 min before seeking out a sun bathed rock to warm up on.



We had dinner near the top of the hill but decided to push on past the last water for camp. Looking over my shoulder as I hiked I was treated to an awesome sunset, you'll have to wait for the photo album to see. Pulled into a camp a little later than I would normally like but found a good spot and cowboy camped under a beautiful stary sky.

Made great time in the morning to cover the remaining ground of California. After hanging at the border for a long lunch I moved on but only made it 0.5 miles before breaking again due to trail magic.


After learning about some local bugs, mostly which type of wasp/bee is likely to sting me, is was time again to move on. With the additional down time I was once again hiking with a beautiful sunset back drop. Got to a hiking shelter near a road just after dark to find it occupied by car campers but plenty if nice flat spots nearby. Little windy making it cold but it dropped off later unto the night.

Quick 10 miles to Callahans where Burrito and I had lunch with his GF's Aunt and Uncle as they dropped him new shoes. After lunch they gave us a ride into Ashland to meet some fellow hikers for a few drinks. While watching the setting sun.



A few turned into a few more and the next day which was meant to be a day of chores turned into a day of sleep and rest. We did manage to make it to an all you can eat Indian and the cenima for a movie but not much further was completed.

The following day we were much more productive. Snacks had a friend in Ashland lend us her car and we were able to do all the shopping, including a gear store and 3 separate shops for food (organic food? I need something more for trail...)

The chores took most of the day and despite plans to fit a few afternoon miles we ended up at an English pub for an early dinner. Didn't quite make it back to the trail but at least I was able to have a real pie!



We woke up fairly early but with a slow pack and town breakfast only managed to get to the trail at about 9:45. Like most trail towns this was by way of hitch and it was fairly easy to get a ride up by sticking out our thumbs near the on-ramp.

Found the fairly easy terrain promised for Oregon and despite the late start still managed decent miles for the day. Burrito stayed back in Ashland with some other friends and Snacks and Moonshine stopped in at nearby stop for coffee mid afternoon, so for the first time in a while I camped solo.



Started the day strong but in just 1hr15min I hit my first trail 1magic. Stopping to chat and enjoy an ice cold drink took a while but I got moving again... for another hour or so. Then I hit the second. Another cold drink plus some corn chips, fueled up I took off again.
Pumped (caffenated too) for the rest of the day I once again set off. It took a while 1.5 hours for the next magic to appear. I thanked them but pressed on for lunch, wanting to cover some ground. After lunch I was only moving for 45 min before the 4th, fresh apples and cold water.

Stayed and chatted while enjoying the apple but pressed on soon after only to make it an hour before seeing a magic sign. I passed it up, thinking I already had my share for the day and in less than 15 min saw yet another one, the fancy fake flowers and well decorated sign didn't draw me in and I was able to keep moving.

Found out later that the flower sign went to a 'costume party' thrown by past PCT hikers and had everything a hiker could want... including table service! It was ok though as when I was 20 min from planned camp there was one more round of magic I happily partook in. All in all 7 (seven) trail magic offerings today. Oregonians really are trying to show up Californians!



Looking at the day ahead it seemed like it should of been a pretty easy one. However it chose to stary with almost half of the days elevation in the first few miles. Add to that a significant number of downed trees to go over, under or around.  I couldn't go 50m without a tree across the path.

The elevation eased off quickly but the number of downed trees did not. The constant breaking of rhythm or bushwacking around really made the pace quite sluggish. A 14 mile dry stretch (so carrying a bit of water) didn't make climbing over them any easier.

I actually found the trees fun though. Climbing on them, walking along them. Vaulting over the lower ones. I also helped 2 lost groups of hikers find their way home. One group had a map but started at the wrong trailhead and were completely turned around. Got them on the right track. Other group were day-hikers and they were peaking so I walked them (~1.5mi) to a trail junction that would lead them back to their car. I offered to walk them all the way, but by that time they had calmed down a bit and were feeling ok again. Really good feeling.



Despite all this there was still so much beauty in the forest. Great big volcanic outcrops and the rock fields looked amazing. Even after getting up he mountain and looking back the forest still looked lush and thick, you couldn't see any evidence of all the fallen trees.
I managed to drag myself to a position to make today easier. 22 miles with no water (unless you head off trail for ~2.5 miles.) I filled up my bottles the night before so I could get an early start. Made milo and then quickly set off, eating bfast on the move, to cover some ground in the cool of the morning.

More fallen trees blocking the path and some pretty significant burn areas but with easier elevation I was able to cruise into Mazama Village early afternoon. Store is great (except beer selection) resonable prices and hold hiker boxes for free. Might check out the resturant for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Christine Grattan15 August 2016 at 13:30

    Have probably missed out on a catch up with you. I was at craft when the email came through. The amount of trail magic is astounding๐Ÿ˜€ Do just random people donate it?
    You certainly had a big smile on your face at the border sign๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Dad went to hang a door somewhere today so we got up with the alarm for the first time in a few weeks. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be. I did q 2 hour walk in the forest but got rained on๐Ÿ˜’ I wasn't drenched but certainly came home wet and enjoyed a hot shower ๐Ÿ˜€ I'll be taking my jazz down for its first service this afternoon. It is free and only takes an hour so I'll be waiting for it. Love, Mum๐Ÿ˜€❤️๐Ÿ‘

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger