Sunday 21 August 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - Day 114 to 120

After a quick retrieval of my battery pack I had left to charge over night I started the ascent up a volcanic rim to the absolutely amazing Crater Lake.

By the time I made it to the cafe up the top the first morning shuttle (which left the same place I did) pulled up with the first load of tourists. Luckily they went through the gift shop/cafe first and I had the viewing platform almost to myself!



Crater Lake was incredible. Dead flat so it had an awesome reflection  of the towering sides. Deep clear blue water making the rock ledges under the surface pop out and really made me wish I had dive gear. The lake can get down to 0°c though... so might need that dry suit...
The trail made its way along the eastern rim for about 11 miles. Part of a 26 mile (!) dry stretch, I thought I left those behind in California! It went quick though with easy elevation and I made it to a great camp spot under Mt Thielson with daylight to spare, which lit up the mountain in a beautiful deep red. Went to wash my socks in the creek but it was so cold I decided to put it off to tomorrow.

Got onto the trail fairly early and it wasn't long before I passed the highest trail point for OR/WA. Seemed rather low compared to Forrester Pass in the Seirras. As I cruised past the 3000km mark with most of the rest of the day downhill the miles seemed to drop almost as fast as the mozzies game enough to land on me.

One water source was 0.4 miles off trail down a bit of a steep slope but the reward was clear cool spring water. Took a little long to look for camp and with the setting sun settled for a flat-ish spot I had to clear just past a horse camp, with a nearby swamp. Bombarded by Mozzies and by myself I think it's the quickest I have ever set up and got in my tent.

It was a fairly easy morning into Shelter Cove for an early lunch. I was plannig for a quick turn around but the lake called for a swim as did running on the big rolling logs they used as a marina boon. The hiker hangout sucked me in for a bit too...



I managed to leave late afternon with some other hikers and find a nice place to camp by a lake. There was a nice breeze to keep away mozzies too. The wind also died off right at bed time so it didn't get too cold.
Another easier elevation day and even with a couple of swims in the beautiful (and not freezing cold) lakes I still managed a big day. In the middle also came across a coupleasant of trail maintainers so I took a go on the saw to help hem out a bit. It really is hard work and they deserve all our thanks!



Today I passed really close by the southern most of the Three Sisters mountains. Three volcanic mountains with beautiful red rock. We also passed through a lot of obsidian rock and by a surprisingly strong waterfall fed only by a spring. Snow melt spring though or it would have made for a really good shower.



The day started out hard as I was walking through volcanic ridges and valleys. Loose volcanic rock crunching under foot and making every step feel like two. I felt like I should have been carrying a ring, or a hobbit or something.



In the end though I made good time to the road and ended up getting a lift into Sisters by a husband who came out to trail magic his section hiking wife. Arrived to some bad news though as the PO wasn't open for pickup (despotent online info telling me it would be)... so I couldn't get at my bounce box.
Sunday was spent gathering supplies for the remainder of the trip. This may be the last town with actual supermarket to buy food in. Another night in luxury here before accessing my box, sending it on and getting back onto the volcanic rock!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scott
    Enjoying your tales. A mighty effort.
    We loved Crater Lake back in 1971. In Early June, thete was 15 feet of snow either side of the road into Crater Lake. We camped there beside rhe lake and nearly froze. The ranger told us next morning - "you could have died up here from exposure". Oops.
    You should be proud of your trek.
    We are in Ontario, Canada along the 1000 Islands Parkway. Beautiful and supposedly the best fresh water diving in the world.
    Keep enjoying your amazing adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger