Friday 22 April 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - T-3 days

After humming and harring over my gear and plan for the past 4-5 months it's  finally time to put it all together and start the journey. I'm currently sitting in the Brisbane airport and I have a little while to travel to the trail head... 


I packed all my gear on the weekend in anticipation. I must have repacked it about 5 times. My gear list can be found in my last post and currently remains unchanged... for now.  Everything has been used before but due to the nature of a thru-hike I have no doubts that something is going to give. I've also managed to say my goodbyes to friends, family and work mates with various meals over the last week.



In the lead up to the hike I've also slacked off on eating healthy... probably not a good thing... Just carbo loading right? :p I lament the extra weight of water on the first day but in truth I've probably put that much on myself. That's cool though... I'll walk it off...




My Sister had graciously offered me a lift to the airport, my first trail angel! Because I had to be at the airport early we had dinner and I crashed at their place last night. Gave me a good chance to see my niece before I headed off too. She's going to change a lot before I get back!




Traffic wasn't too bad and I'm no stranger to airports so it all went pretty smoothly. I put my pack into a laundry bag, to try protect it from baggage handlers and my bounce bucket into a box so it didn't roll on the plane.


After that was all sorted all that was left was to enjoy a beer and wait for my flight. As I sit here waiting I think it's finally starting to set in what I've got myself into. I've done some pretty big trips before. 4wding across Australia, flying in tiny planes for 38 hours to land on a thin strip of bitumen to go diving... but this is something else. This is something bigger. This is the PCT! See you all stateside. Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck Scott, will be following your adventures from afar! Safe travels. T x

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger