Saturday 5 November 2016

Travel - 2016 USA - South West (pt 1)

Took a days rest in Santa Barbara before making my way down to LA to pick up my home for the next 2.5 weeks. A Juicy camper van. Getting ot of LA again proved a little more difficult. Dual multi vehicle accidents slowed progress. It crawled as bad as South bound on the Bruce hwy after an easter weekend.  

Didn't quite make it as far as I would have liked but I'm glad I at least clear the more populated areas. Stopped to 'camp' in Walmart car park. There were already a few RVs parked so I found a nice place a little away and bedded down in the roof top tent. 

The next day was a pretty short drive to Joshua Tree National Park. The landscape is very similar to just after Warner Springs. Lots of granite bounder to enjoy. There was a nice view of San Jacinto and some cool little palm oasis' to hike to. I picked up new shoes in San Fran so this was their first real test.  





Ended up at a free camp just (as in <1 min drive) south of the National Park. No services but I'm kinda use to that in a camp site... Quite a few people with the same idea but it's strange very large area and everyone is very spread out.

Started the day with bacon and eggs for breakfast, having a fridge again is great! Slow pack before heading to the Grand Canyon West Rim. It's a bit out of the way but they have all glass skywalk that I wanted to do. It was a little pricey at $72 but for that view straight down I thought it would be worth it.  

Near the skywalk were also some awesome cliff edges to get to the edge of. Seems to be a lack of safety concern here, works for me! Only one person in a sea of tourists to tell me to be careful.



It was a little shorter than I expected but still had great views of the canyon and straight down! Before entry they made us turn in all personal items, so we didn't drop them I guess. As I was putting away my wallet I was told I could keep than on me, then my hat and sunnies and car keys. in fact the only 2 items I had to stow were my phone and camera. 

Once on the platform it was a bit of a line. They had personal photographers that would guide you through and take pictures. I knew I wasn't going to buy them so just enjoyed the heights by myself. Upon exit I saw why they took our phones and cameras. $65 for a digital copy of the pictures taken... $18 for a single print... tell 'em he's dreaming.



Left the west rim and pulled into another free camping area for the night. It was off the main road a bit and down some fairly rutted dirt roads. Would have preferred to have a high clearence vehicle but the van made it with only minimal scrapes.

Made my way around to the South Rim of he Grand Canyon. Got there by lunch and took the afternoon to take a quick peek but mostly for chores. Laundry time, some grocery shopping and putting a fresh coat of seam sealant on my hiking tent. Also headed to the permit office to get my 3 day hiking permit down into the Canyon, Yew!!



I took advantage of the free shuttle bus to take me right to the western end of the line and did a small 12 mile warm up hike back to camp. Pack is so light with only water, first aid kit and and few snacks. 

The walk follows the rim of the canyon the entire way with plenty of viewing points to take pictures. It was easy to tell which ones were close to shuttle stops. It's impossible to describe, or show in photos, just how immensely massive the Grand Canyon is.



Got back to camp packed own my tent and did my final chore before tomorrows hiking. Replacing the tips of my poles again. I would have done it yesterday but they are used for my tent and I needed to give the seam sealer time to dry. Tomorrow morning I'll head out on a 2 night hike to the bottom of the canyon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Blogger