Sunday 4 November 2018

Hiking - 2018 11 - Girraween

Had to alter plans before I even started! I was going to head down Friday night to camp at the main Girraween campgrounds but they were closed :o So instead I got a very early start from home Saturday morning.

It's a relatively easy 2 day loop with the second day meant to be the shorter one. As I was getting a late start I flipped and walked clockwise instead. Starts off heading atop the Pyramid for some good views of the landscape you're soon to cover. Even the creek you first cross is really picturesque with water winding through and over granite slabs.


Most times I have been here the campgrounds have been full and the Pyramid is a popular hike so it's always busy. There were still a few people around but I had the views to myself for a good 10 min at the top. After heading back down the path it was soon time to veer off and do some route finding.

Pretty easy landscape to follow and it wasn't long before I met the old disused forestry track. It was fairly easy to follow too... a little too easy. So easy in fact that I managed to waltz right by my next turn to a more overgrown side track. Only had to double back around 300m so not too bad. There were also some Kangaroos enjoying the shade in a field, so it was probably worth it.


Back over some more granite and creeks before hitting the 'Main' dirt road that cuts through the park. After a few minutes on the road it was time to turn off again down to Dr Roberts waterhole. I had the place all to myself and took the time to enjoy a nice relaxing swim in the very refreshing water. There wasn't much movement but it was flowing just and seemed quite clear.



Just around the corner was Underground Creek. Beautiful fountain pools carved out in the granite. "There are some beautiful waterfalls there" is what I would be saying if the flow was more than a trickle. Even with the minimal flow it's still pretty neat. Lots of little caves to poke your head in around here but none with much depth. 



Just after the top of the creek/fall area there was another big waterhole begging to be swum in. Who was I to deny it that pleasure? Temp was reading 37°c (99°f) in the sun, so I appreciated another swim even it was soon after the last. 

The planned camp was only another 100m past the water hole. 10k from the start. I sat in the shade and ate my lunch (Mum's Anzac Biscuits!) As it was still early afternoon I decided to push on a little. After grabbing some water, as this was probably the last available, I was off. Another 7km down, and a very convenient drop toilet at Mt Norman day use area on the way, and I reached camp.



Setup went smoothly as usual and it wasn't long before dinner was on and I got a small fire going. It was a great spot, better if there was water though, and hardly any bugs.... that was until last light. When hundreds of flying ants began to swarm. I quickly extinguished the fire and hid in the safety of my tent. Pushing on in the heat with wet shorts may not have been the wisest decision I have ever made, in the 7k since lunch I managed to accrue some chafing...

Early to bed early to rise... I woke with first light around 5am but it still felt a little too cold outside. It reached the 'freezing' lows of 19°c last night, which explains why I felt a little too warm in my 10c bag. Perhaps a 4th sleeping bag, one for warmer summer nights, should be invested in... With boundless energy provided by my breakfast Honey Bun I was off to conquer Mt Norman. The sun was already blaring down when I reached the exposed slopes and I guess I forgot how great a calf exercise it is walking up that Granite Incline... because the energy was short lived.



Still, it wasn't long before I reached the top of the hike path and headed up the small scramble to the summit. I didn't spend long, as I hadn't applied sunscreen yet and standing in full sun seemed like a bad idea. Back on trail and down the other side of Mt Norman. I was making pretty good time when I reached the turn off for Castle rock and Turtle rock but as I had done them both a dozen times or more and that chafing was still fresh in my mind I decided to skip them this trip. Shortly after I was back in the campgrounds and in sight of my Ute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Blogger