Sunday 3 November 2019

Hiking - 2019 11 - Lamington NP (Lost World)

Another loop that had been on my radar for a while was the Lost World circuit starting from the O'Reilly's section of Lamington National park. I finally had a weekend lined up so locked it in. A few were initially keen to join me but with family commitments and rain predicted by  Friday afternoon I was heading solo.
 

Didn't rush in the morning but had a really pleasant drive to the mountain. Carpark was almost empty, guess the rain scared most people off. There were some people feeding the lorikeets though and a rather brave bush rat out in the sun too!


The trail started off really easy in a maintained path to Morans Falls. Despite the rain on the drive up and the constant drizzle I was keeping mostly dry due to the canopy. Kicking off the top layer of leaf litter exposed dry ground. The northern section of Lamington suffered some significant burns recently so they could use the rain. The rocks forming the steps were just damp enough to cause caution slowing my pace a little.  

It wasn't long before I made it to Castle Crag and was almost ready to start the 'real'section of the hike. Beautiful views up the valley to Lost world... and some rather tall mountains for later in the day...  


Dropping off the edge of the cliff, and it certainly was cliff like, was more than I had anticipated. It was very bloody sketchy to be honest. Those who know me, and my affinity for teetering on the edges of cliffs, know that I'm not squeamish nor do I shy away from heights but there was a good few moments where even I questioned the sanity of my decision to press on.  

Even past the really steep bit the trail, if you could call it 'trail', often had you heading straight down. The 'trail' was effectively non-existent. Every now and then you would see a foot pad/goat track that would last for 5 meters, 10 if you were lucky.  There was evidence of past hikers though. Big skid marks down the hill where someone took a slide. I left a few marks myself, not just those on the trail...  



 Eventually I made it down to the upper reaches of the Albert River. I followed it down stream until the turn off back up the other side before stopping for a rest before the hill. Great spot to stop for lunch, though I had planned for smoko here. Flowing really well and a knee deep hole should you want to get wet. As it's been really dry this was also the last guarantee for water. 4lt makes for a heavy pack...

No messing about on this hike. No such thing as switch backs, just straight up the hill. Straight up on a ridge line, over 300m elevation gain is just under a km. Then turn left when you reach the top to traverse along another ridge, for a similar sort of distance and height... Definitely some cool bits though. 😀

Ridge ridge and then some more ridge before it flattened up a little bit closer to Lost World. I'm so glad I carried all that extra water up the hill to see the creek flowing free and clear. . . . At the Lost World Creek camp, good spots for 4 or so tents a little spread out and the flowing creek near by I think it's worth the climb. 

I had arrived just before 3 and thought I shouldn't be done for the day and decided to push on to the Lost World Saddle, another 4k. After a short break I pushed off once again up the hill.  

It wasn't long before the bush gave way to rain forest. Lots of vines, heaps of spikes, easier grade than the previous hills but felt even harder. At some point before the Mt Razorback Summit a vine must have grabbed my side pocket and raked my TP from me, doh!  
This was an easy bit.  

The trip down was rather difficult for navigation. I had my phone out fairly often to confirm my position was still on trail. A few times I confirmed I was a hundred or so meters from where I wanted to be. I started using the compass on my watch which made things easier. This sort of forest with dodgy maps and old school compasses would have been quite the feat! 


Eventually though another defined ridge protruded through the forest and it wasn't too much longer before I was at camp. Just on 5:20. Enough time to get everything sorted, enjoy the sunset and cook dinner in the fading light. 



Even before dinner (a continental pasta side with powdered milk to thicken it) was ready the temp had dropped to the point where I reached for my beanie. I have my warm bag with me tonight and thermals should it drop too much. Puffy jacket to for emergencies, but I don't think it would be needed. By the time I was in my tent, around 7, it was 16°c. A bit warm to be in my bag but perfect with it as a blanket.  

Surprisingly few mosquito but of course 3 made it into my tent and needed to be dispatched before I could have a good sleep. Not much room for them to hide in a small tent.

Nature called in the morning, not a call you can leave unanswered, so I tried out the old naturalist approach and grabbed some leaves. The Cordyline leaves went ok actually, but I think I'll be more vigilant with my TP through vines the future. I'm more upset about leaving rubbish behind that my choice of wipes this morning.  

After breakfast and packing camp it was straight back up a ridge again. Once more covered in thick forest and vines. Even more dense than yesterday. The first 3k to Mt Worendo took a little over 3 hours. 1.3 kph is a fair wack off my usual 4.5-5kph on maintained trails...  


A few hundred meters shy of the summit was a very faint goat track which did make it a bit easier. Smoko on top and pulled the first leach of the trip. While eating discovered another 3 that had latched on. Blood dripping down my leg onto the top of my socks... 

The O'Reilly's side of the mountain had a much better defined trail. Very easy to follow. A few people would day hike to the summit but it's also the trail for Rat-at-at and the Stinson wreck, so it makes sense it's more well used. There were a few sections near blow downs where the trail disappeared but the occasional piece of flagging tape made it easy to rediscover.  


Past the 'Rugged/Remote' sign and it was almost like a maintained trail. It wasn't long before I reached Echo Point and was back on actual maintained trails, Albert River Circuit. A couple that camped there the night were just about to head off, having enjoyed a sleep in and the view at Echo point.


They asked me how far it was to Stinson and pulled out the map below...  


.... 
I tried to manage their expectations. 
...
Luckily as I was on the return circuit I was able to offer them my actual (topographic) map and suggested they set a firm 'turn back' time. The trail back was much much faster. It's not surprising when you're not stopping every 3 meters to step over a vine or unhook from wait-a-while (Lawyer Vine) spikes.  

Back on the border track and the path was easier again. The closer I got back to O'Reilly's the busier it got and when I saw people in thongs I knew I was close. Got back just before 1230.  Enjoyed a drink and a hot pie at the cafe before starting the drive home. 



Gear is a bit of a mess, certainly dirtier than most of my hikes time for a hot shower and probably take the pack in there with me. Hope you enjoyed the hike, see you on the mountains!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Blogger