Saturday 30 April 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - What's in a name?

One of the trail traditions is 'earning' a trail name. Some get theirs early, others much later. Usually you get assigned yours by fellow hikers after they notice behaviour traits... or you do something stupid.

Tin-Man earned his on the very first day. Hits joints felt squeaky,  his hair was oily and he had a silver chrome sun umbrella. Unlike the movie version though he had already found his heart. He was carrying a light weight chair and at camp I think he spent more time on the ground than in it. He was very happy to offer a sit to everyone else. 

For me it evolved over the course of the first few days. When we got to my very first campsite of the trail I took off my pack and lay in the grass. After a few min I reached out to my pack, that was just outside of arms reach, for some water. I mustn't have been that thirsty because I gave up. When asked what I was doing I said I wanted something from the pack but was feeling too lazy to bother at the moment.

After finally setting up camp about an hour later it came time for my airbed... so I got out my little mini air-pump. Far too lazy to actually blow it up myself.....

Next was that I carry salt and powdered parmesan cheese in little hotel shampoo containers. To save me from carrying full bottles. Efficient right? Lazy too apparently...

There were a few more things I took the efficient way of doing over the next few days and combined with my yellow pack, orange jacket and ginger beard I was thus dubbed Garfield. The fact that I enjoyed a Freeze Dried hiking meal of Lasagne on night two probably cemented the deal...

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I'd never thought of that connection before but that could make some sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean bubbles is no more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would have to spean to Charlie about that one. Bubbles might always be my diving name though :)

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger