Wednesday 27 April 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - Day 1 to 3

Still feeling a bit of jet lag mixed in with the approaching day meant I didn't have the best sleep. Dozed off around 2330 and it only felt like seconds before the 5am alarm woke me. Quickly packed and sat down to an amazing breakfast.





French toast and fresh fruit. Loaded into 5 vehicles all 15 hikers were keen to start the day. Shout out to Don who was my driver. 7ish am at the trail head for the token shots. I was the only one to climb but the pic is on my camera so you'll have to wait for proof.




Pretty hot as we climbed the first of many hills. Definitely felt all the extra water. As well as the lack of sleep. Stopped for a few snack breaks where there was shade and came to a rest just before 12 for lunch and to take an hour break from the sun. It's been a very exposed trail, I knew to expect it but I feel it more than I imagined.

Strolled into my planned camp site, Houser Creek at mi 15, at about 330 and pulled up stumps. Arrived around the same time as a few I started out with. And a few more rolled in later. A good sized group were heading out of the canyon as I was coming down into it. I chose to save that for the cool of the morning.



Some of the guys I was camping with had the great idea of waking up at 4am to get the first 5 miles, mostly uphill, out of the way before the sun hit us. I admit I wasn't very keen but when they were rumbling I too rolled out of bed just before they set off. Which was about 430am. Strolled into Lake Morena just after 8 and found the group that headed there the day before. They were just in the final stages of packing their camp and set out while I had a break. I would recommend the 2 day strategy.
There was very chilling wind all day which cut down water consumption but made brakes hard. Needed a jacket almost immediately upon stopping.

On the next stretch there was a side trail only 0.2 miles but 45m (~150ft) climb out to Kitchen Ck falls. Of the 18 hikers I talked too I was the only one to head down. Worth it.




The next 3.5 miles to camp seemed to take ages but I found a sizeable group there when I arrived at 4pm. 4 more went by, in search of water, and 2 more stayed making it 12 in total. Wind was howling through the canyon sending most people to the warmth of their tents by 6pm. Myself included.

There was rumbling at 4am again but I decided to ignore it this time. Unable to get back to sleep I eventually broke camp at 630 though... the next part of the trail seemed very narrow.  Thousands of hikers a year and probably 1000 before me this season alone and it's still overgrown.



Thomas and Tincknell would love it. Of 48mi travelled so far less than a mile has been on a management trail.

Stopped at mile 37 for my first water filter of the trip which worked well. Others were struggling with squeeze bags as I set up my gravity filter and sat back. 

Big climb to Mt Laguna with frost still sitting in the shade on the side of the trail. It WAS cold last night! Got into town and had some great pork belly soup and some beer that I won't have again... got a few things from the store. Plan was to spend the night but he lodge was full. Had the choice of a closed camp .5 mi back, or to push on for 7ish more. 7 miles more won. 

About 4 mi into that I began to think I had made the wrong choice... eventually I made it to the turn off which had a cool view deck before pushing on the 0.6 mi to camp and a shower.



Another early night tonight I think and maybe a shorter tomorrow. Next stop Warner Springs, 5 days from now.

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome Scott. Enjoying the read.

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger