Sunday 22 May 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - Day 25 to 29

The 5c Margarita's last night rolled into a few more beers while playing pool at the Inn. There was also karaoke on the go with quite a large group of Hiker Trash giving their all. One guy, "Don't Know", that actually started the same day as me, is a singer/musician in real life so he was able to blast out some great tunes.

The liquid courage it took for me to take a turn with the group last night had its affects in the morning. In true Hiker style I was still up at first light though. After getting breakfast and putting together my pack with yesterday's shopping it was already 9am. 5 days of food is making the pack heavy again! 

Quick to get a hitch back to the trail and get started. Saw another helpful distance sign, only 2277 miles to go now. After just 5 miles in, still feeling a bit sluggish, I started the ascent up Mt Baden Powell. Near 3000 ft of up over just short of 4 miles. It was a pretty steep and constant up. I have been taking a brake every 2+ hours normally but on his section it was closer to every 20 min.  Views of the dry flat desert still quite a few days ahead were worth it though! Look closely and you can see a survey mark too. Just off the peak was a very cool, and apparently very old, Bristle Cone tree.





The down was just as steep as the up. Bit of lose soil and rock made the feet slip a few times but never took a tumble. The climb took a lot more time so it was a shorter day today. Just before camp was a beautiful spring fed pipe to collect water from. Probably didn't need to filter (but I did anyway.)

Seems a few other people had the same idea about a shorter day after the climb. First night out of town is usually a busier camp anyway though. Plenty of room here, tables, fire places and even (drop) toilets! Luxury!

Got an early start but after just 2 miles had to make a decision. There is another closure up ahead. Only 4 ish miles, to protect an endangered frog. There is 2 alternatives to chose from. One is 20.5 miles and skips 9ish of the PCT and all on trail. The other is 5.5 miles skipping only 4.5 miles but, of that, there is 3 miles on the shoulder of a HWY. In the end I reasoned that:
1. I did not come to the USA to walk on bitumen.
2. I was already ahead of schedule and what's 11 miles between friends?
3. (Most important) At the junction the 20 mile trail alternative was downhill. The road was uphill.

Decision made. I knew it probably meant lots of up later... but that was a problem for future me.

You could tell the trail was much less frequented than the previous PCT section. It was also in need of some love and care. Some bits of the trail were slipping down the hill and pretty difficult to navigate. There were also a few interesting trees to get around.



Once past a day use camp ground the track was a lot better. It had some awesome rock canyons to walk through too. As well as Devils Chair and Punchbowl which were nice to see.



Future me paid for it that very arvo. A climb very similar in height and length as the mountain the day before. I saw it coming and took a nice 1hr 15min break at the creek just before the ascent. It felt pretty easy all things considered. There was also some fun bits to get across.



Made it to the saddle right around 'fall down and worry about setting up camp' stage but as expected it was very windy there. After another nice break, albeit shorter this time, I started down the mountain to make camp at a small creek area. This sadly turned out to be bust as the creek was just a steep gully. Pushing on until almost 7pm, 12 hours since I left camp, I found a spot to call home. I think I'll sleep well.

While I did get a good night's sleep I still felt the effects of those extra miles.  It took about an hour before things started to feel normal again. A cool change came in and with it the wind. For those Brisbanites reading imagine the 'Ekka Winds' but colder. I was hiking in my thermal top and still felt cold. Every stop I would pull out my jacket immediately. I don't mind a cool breeze when hiking but it's so cold some hikers are walking in their jackets in the middle of the day!

Yet another section that suffered from fire burns. This one had an outbreak of Poodle Dog Bush. It's basically a stinging nettle type bush whose effects range from nothing to a irritable/itchy rash that lasts for days all the way to causing blisters. I don't plan on testing where I fall on the scale. So far it's been alright. It's all over the place though. Apparently a really bad section coming up.



Found a great camp atop a saddle. Bit windy but tucked in behind a big log as a wind break. Also first time to camp with some people that I have been leapfrogging for at least 2 weeks. Much easier to get to know people at camp rather than just exchanging pleasantries on the trail.

More of that freezing cold wind today. This is meant to be the hot section! Poodle Dog Bush is getting a little crafty too, hiding amongst other plants. It's the oil on the leaf that gets you so you have to avoid hotting it with your trekking poles and other gear as well. Have to be on the lookout as a few times I had to twist and turn to avoid it.



Despite the wind it was a bit hazy today. You could make out some views but nt as good as other days. Feet are pretty first despite a steam wash late yesterday.  Only tap or bottled water today so I made due with another wet wipe foot bath. Still only the 1 blister which is more a callus now. Would like to keep it that way!

Wind dissipated some time late in the night but I still woke a little cold come the wee hours of the morning. Using the down jacket again made me a little too hot though. Might have to try something different for the Sierra Mountains.  Maybe an additional/warmer sleeping bag liner. I'm definitely going to buy some dedicated thick sleep socks. I hike in the thinnest socks you can get.

Was a pretty steep descent out of the gate this morning. The track held together by various means. Also travelled down a ridge line for a long while which was cool to follow and enjoy the view.



I met a south bound section Hiker, Goal Zero, who had about 50 snack size chip packets he was handing out to NOBO hikers. Was good timing as I was just about to have a break. Then made it to the Acton campgrounds just past 10. A playschool group had just finished a camping trip and had massive fruit platters and croissants for breakfast that they didn't finish. They left them out for hikers so it was a great treat of pineapple, grapes, oranges, blue berries and other fruit you normally don't eat on trail. The croissants were really nice too!

An easy 19 mi day to make it to Agua Dulce, just past some pretty call rock formations called Vasquez Rocks. Just outside of town I arrived at Hiker Heaven, a house run by Trail Angels with showers and laundry and pizza and beer!! Lot of other hikers as well. Their backyard was crammed full by about 40 hiker tents. 



3 comments:

  1. Hi
    Am reading this at 6.30am in my bed feeling guilty. Though I did a 1 and a half km brisk walk last night before dinner. I can hear you laughing.

    Really interesting reading Scott. Great to have a first hand account.
    Linton says Hi. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this talk about cold wind, freezing nights, and you're basically trippi g over fire wood (seetree on path), so where are the fires ?

    P.s. we did a 600m walk this arvo, but it was all up hill if that helps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had another Hiker tell off a group i was with about how dangerous fires are in Cali and that we should only make one if you have 5 lt of water to properly douse it.

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger