Tuesday 17 May 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - Day 18 to 24

Woke up for he early morning shuttle to the trail head at Onyx Summit with 7 other keen hikers. It's the closest point we can be dropped after the fire closure. The day started out really nice with the pine needles forming a great soft carpet over the trail.



Trees slowly started to give way to more familiar scrub bush with a few new additions. Joshua trees only grow in a pretty narrow band of elevation, these guys seemed to be thriving.



A few of the other hikers were slack packing today. They left the majority of their gear in Big Bear and were only doing the 13 or so miles to the hwy where one would normally hitch into town. I decided I had enough of town already and kept going. At some point before reaching the Highway the path also returned back to some sections that I think you could get away with calling rocky...



Camped not far past the road to Big Bear with a few other hikers. I was the first out of camp in the morning and the first 3 miles felt like a hard slog. Up and lose rocks didn't have me fling like it was going to be a great day. Though the was a lot of wild flowers to keep me distracted which was nice. Skittles and chocolate may have helped also....





Things turned though and the remainder of the day was mostly a slight downwards grade. A section here looked like it was hit pretty hard by fires but luckily no more closures. I seemed to breeze past a lot of miles without even taking note. Still lots of things to see but it felt easy. Making my biggest day yet, 24.3 miles.



This also lead to the bonus of being able to camp next to a really good clear flowing creek. Lots we've sen so far are barely even there and mucky. This one was deep enough to swim in at points and flowing well.



The next day followed the creek for a while before going over a rise and finding an even bigger one. Though it was definitely not the same easy day as before. It was hot. Not quite Brisbane summer hot,  but close to it. Fully exposed to the sun 1/2 way up the valley. You could see the beautiful creek below but it was near impossible to reach. 




The day also may have felt hard because of the high elevation.  Given that I live, work and spend a lot of my time near sea level (and a pretty decent chunk of my weekends beneath it!) Mountain air seems a little thin. How heavy are rebreathers? Maybe just a small nitrox pony bottle would do...

Thankfully there was a reprieve of a side creek. Slow flow but cool enough and sheltered. I rolled out my ground sheet and just lay there for 2 hours.  Barely moving. Possibly also feeling the effects of the previous big day. Eventually though I moved on and glad I did. 2 miles Down the path was the Deep Creek Hot Springs (clothing optional) where I soaked my sore feel.for 30 min in the 35°c + water.

It was pretty busy with day hikers all enjoying he water. Creek running along side was depressed enough for some small cliff jumps. Despite some good scenery camping  (while also not allowed here) was too busy for me so I pushed on. Found a great solo spot... or so I thought. Soon as the sun hid behind a mountain he frogs started... and didn't stop all night.  The earplugs helped but couldn't completely stop the noise.

About 10 min out of camp I caught up with a Rose who I started with but hadn't seen in a few days and spent a little time hiking together. I tend to spend most of my moving time alone but it was nice to chat. At water they made a coffee and I wanted to move on so we split again. I came upon a section that proves not all of the PCT is glamorous.  This short (0.4mi) section had me pitted between  a power plant fence and a rural highway. At least there was a path though, unlike the previous fire detour. 



A few miles later though and over another rise there was a beautiful dam. Ski boats and jet skis were out in force and while I was really tempted to ask for a ski all thoughts were squashed when I felt the water temp. Would need at least my 5 mil wetsuit!

We wound around the dam for a while, not on the shore mind you in true PCT fashion there were his involved! Eventually coming up to a park section where some Trail Angels had eskies of coke and cookies and mini-doughnuts. It was great. Some hikers also ordered pizza to the park... apparently they get that a lot in hike season. Seeing the pizza delivery car rock up to a picnic area was pretty funny. 

Was still a bit of time in the day so I left the goodies behind and put in some more trail time. Found a cosy spot amongst some bushes and spent way too long looking at these clouds that were just creeping over a nearby mountain range. Looked amazing.



A bit more up followed by a lot of down. Beautiful cliff edges to walk along and take in the views.



It wasn't too far to Cajon Pass.  A pretty famous stop as there us a Maccas only 0.4 of a mile from trail. I usually avoid it at home but I needed the extra calories... we that's my excuse at least. After enjoying the aircon and free refills for too long it was time to hike again. A very helpful sign kept me motivated.



Under a major highway, official trail is through the drain... then quite a bit more up before camp not too far away. Busy little spot and a few new faces along with old friends.



In the morning I got a fairly good start on the day as I new it was going to be tough. Over 6500 ft to climb today and no water for a while so a 6.5lt carry made the pack heavy. Food bag was diminished though only 1.5 days to town. A cool change had come in as well and there was a nice breeze, no gusty winds. At one point I did think I was developing a second blister but it was just dirty feet. Very very dirty feet. Wet wipe foot baths then covering with dirty socks. Can't spare the water to wash... at least there were views.




There has also been a few blow down trees on trail some harder to navigate than others. Given that central/northern Cali is known for their big and tall trees it's interesting to think about what obstacles I might hit. Ended at a camp site 8300ft, highest I have ever camped. Above the cloud line. Beautiful looking at the mountains rise from the clouds like islands from the sea. It is a bit cold though....



Slept ok but was fully cocooned in my bag. Was pretty cold in the morning so I started hiking in my jacket but had to take it off within 10 min.  Only a short day today, hiking 5 miels into Wrightwood and taking a Nero (nearly 0 miles) giving me a chance to have a shower and do laundry. On the way was a dry ski field. Saw some MTB gear about but no one riding down the runs.

Waited over 40 min for a hitch into town by that time 6 other hikers turned up. The 3rd vehicle to pass by going the right direction stopped and managed to squeeze all of us in which was lucky. Still early enough for bacon and eggs for breakfast too! Couldn't check in for a while so took the time to buy groceries and relax with a beer and a game of pool. 369 miles down. Just over 1/2 way done with the desert section!

Plan is for Mexican and 5c Margarita's tonight... but we'll see how it goes. As I had most of the day here I'd like an early start tomorrow. You'll hear from me again in 5 or so days :)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to follow your trip. Love the photos to go with your text. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have your journey documented. Interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger