Thursday 5 May 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - Day 8 to 12

Awoke to a fairly full camping area. More people dribbled in late yesterday. I took a fairly easy time packing up. Took the opportunity to recharge batteries (I use a lot when I have phone service... apparently.) I also borrowed detergent and a bucket from the Resource centre to wash some clothes.



The day started through some pretty green pasture areas nice and flat for about 3 mi. Hardly any wind today but the sun is out in force making it a fairly hot day.



To make matters worse, on that windy night a few days ago when I started very early in the morning I had my hat attached to my pack. Somewhere on the way it was blown off and as I didn't  notice until I was at the bottom of a very big hill there was little chance of me finding it.  So today I'm wearing the best I could find in Julian, a bucket fishing hat. Much heavier material and hotter than my hiking hat. I have already ordered a new one and had it sent to the next town. With little breeze, full sun, exposed trail and a heavy hat I'm sweating a bit more too. Lots of water this section though so all is well.




By mid arvo the sun had given way to clouds. I stopped off at Lost Valley water source for a bit of a break. Lost track of time a little as others turned up too so I was there almost 2 hours. Nice shady spot to lay back. We got some light rain there. Enough to get things wet, but nothing substantial. As we walked the next 4 miles to camp though, to the other side of the ridge, it looks like we lucked out. Puddles on the path, bushes still dripping, washouts. Looks like they got heaps of rain. 

Setup camp on a small but very scenic little ridge spur. Also noticed a slight tear in my tent. Think it must have been from the windy night... bugger. Oh well. Nothing a bit of duct tape can't fix. Not sticking the best on the tent material, so might be an every few days job.



I slept like a log last night and I didn't hear it but it just have rain a bit. Ground and outside of tent is very wet. No water inside thankfully. Track winded up the mountain, then back down... then back up... Stopped for water at a tank supplied by a trail angel who has a house just outside the boundaries of 2 big state parks. Also had a banana but as it was 830 in the morning passed on the beer. Chatted a bit to other hikers that stayed the night, Pizza and beer in the middle of no-where did sound good... I'm also catching up to other groups now, that have all had time to click over their hike so far. Everyone is friendly and welcoming though. Met a few annoying people so far but not 1 bad person yet.

After a climb that seemed like it would never end I started heading down, again. I think my feet are beginning to swell, like all the information had said they would. I could just feel my toes poke into the front of my shoe. 2000ft down over 4 mi and they certainly felt like it by the end. On the flat and uphill shoes are still good, though if there is a lot of down between here and Big Bear (a bigger town in 140 mi) it's likely I'll get new shoes there.

Something else I've been noticing is just how rocky the trail is. With so much traffic you would think that it would be more worn but also that lots of these little rocks would be kicked off the trail. Coming down hill and stepping onto a loose rock isn't fun so you really have to watch your step.


Camped in a dry creek bed with 2 other groups. One group has taken the herbal route to cure their foot pain. I guess it's kinda medicinal and therefore legal here? Lots of people also seem to be OK with taking a few ibuprofen every day to get an edge on the pain. Seems like it might hide a pain and turn it into an injury. At mi 14 when the bottom of my feet are caining I've considered it... but have thus far opted for a 10 min shoes off break instead. Maybe some 'Vitamin-I' is the secret to consistent 20+ mile days.

Got away at 615. Was nice to head up the climb out of the gully in the shade of a mountain. Stopped off at a water cache at 145.5 that had an esky with soft drink! Took a small break there with a few other people that camped much closer same and went.



Seemed to keep going up and up today... I suppose that will happen when you need to climb 3500 ish feet. Some great views and cliffs on the way though. I also passed the marker someone built for 150. Over 0.05 % of the way to Canada!



Stopped off at Paradise Valley Cafe for a BLT and chips for lunch. It added an extra 2 miles (1 in 1 out) but it was worth it. Had a nice long rest out of the main heat of the day before setting off again at 3. Made it to a great site at mi 156. 18 miles today and while the bottom of the feet were sore not as bad as some other days. I did get my first blister though. Inside of my right foot just above the heel. Had tape there since day 1 but I guess the miles and the climb finally wore through. Lanced it at camp so it could dry over night.

PCT is closed up ahead because of a bad fire in 2013. There is an alternative walking path, with very minimal road miles, but some people chose to skip it entirely and hitch to Idyllwild from the cafe I had lunch. Should take me 2 days. Track seems a lot quieter this afternoon.

Off before 7am and made good time to the next water. It was only 0.3 mi off trail but 250ft down... ditched my pact at the top and found the spring fed pipe flowing nicely into a water trough.

The climb back to the trail certainly got the heart racing.  Though it skipped a bit when I realised I didn't have my bandanna anymore... back down the steep path I went. Luckily it had fallen out only 1/3rd of the way down. Getting back up still made my heart pump again though. Lots more uphill for the morning good to get it done when it's still cool. 130-330 seem to be the hottest part of the day, but 1230-430 still feels very hot.

Beautiful pine trees line most of the little gullies. They provide a nice shady change from the small scrub that covers most of the mountain. They certainly don't mess around with their pine cones either!



Walking along the ridge was great. Awesome views both sides. Unfortunately the section ahead is closed because of fire damage so the alt - route had me walking down the side of the mountain again. Good path with good views ahead the whole way. After the trail ended it was a bitumen road for 1 mile, then forestry roads for another 6. Fully exposed to the sun. Not fun. Legs got a little burnt. Then came the walking on the shoulder of a rural highway. Luckily it was just over a mile but it teased me with views of the mountains I should have been on... and will get back to soon.



Pulled up stumps at the Hurkey campground and split a site with another Hiker.  Lots chose to push on to the resupply town of Idyllwild tonight seeing them probably arrive there at dark.

Got up to a later start as the valley was shrouded in mist keeping the sun away. Started down a really nice trail, even if only 100m from the highway. Turned off onto another forestry road to follow all the way to Idyllwild. Was misty for at least the first 2 hours of the hike.



Made it to town by 11 and heard people were having trouble finding rooms. Opted for $3 camping at the State forest grounds. Went into town for lunch and groceries and bumped into heaps of other hikers. I think i added another mile or two just wandering... Lots of people skipped the alternative and hitched from Paradise Cafe. So those that were 2 days behind are suddenly in front!

Weather isn't looking good for tomorrow though, late afternoon thunderstorms. Just about when I would be on top of the ridge. Everyone has so far decided that a Zero (day without any hiking) might be on the cards instead. Town is pretty and everyone seems very friendly to hikers. Free detergent and 'wash day clothes' at the laundry place too so everything is clean again... or will be when I have a chance to shower...

There is also a (1 screen) cinema in town so some hikers are thinking about a movie tonight. Not sure on everyone's plan for dinner but there seems no shortage of places to eat.

Next section might be subject to an even bigger closure than the one just detoured, without a walk-able alternative. Well not without a lot of bitumen walking. So next update might be a short one if I end up hitching to Big Bear.

5 comments:

  1. It's sounding pretty tough. Love to read about it, you describe things so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's this hitching business, aren't you meant to be hiking ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did a 4km walk this arvo with an elevation change of 400m.
    I mightn't have any blisters, but I'm suitably buggered

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today's plan is 21km with an 1100m climb to the summit of mt San Jacinto. Also, it got 1.5 inches of snow last night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy day obviously as that averages out at a cruisey 5% climb.

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger