Thursday 14 July 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - Day 76 to 82

A day of chores in South Lake Tahoe,  grocery shopping, replacing the backplate in my SMD pack, visiting the post office, laundry... it almost feels like hard work! On the plus side in my travels today I bumped into plenty of people that I haven't seen in a while.

After a big day running around I felt as if I hadn't rested and decides to take another day off. Efforts to invogorate hikers on the idea of water skiing g failed as most of them were tired after big days or had chores of their own. Plus South Lake Tahoe is an expensive adventure town for those type of things so it wasn't cheap. $65 pp for 4 hours... if we got 8 people... and then fuel on top of that!

Revitalised by town I was ready to hit the trail again. Free bus the length of town before sticking out my thumb for a hitch. It didn't take long before I was back amongst the trees and beautiful lakes.



I calculated that with the remain zero days I'm likely to take I need to average 22 ish miles a day to finish when I want to. They say after the Seirra Mountains it's easier to consistently pull off big days. 23.5 miles later, including a small pass, I was at a camp feeling fine and actually thought about doing more. It helps that I no longer have the bear can or micro spikes and especially that I am back into my SMD pack. The day after the recent 26+ mile day still fresh in mind had me decide to stop for the day though.

Had a cold night sleep. I think mostly due to a nearby waterfall throwing some mist into the air. Still made really good time and crushed 24 miles by 530pm. Passed some cool views of South Lake Tahoe today but I think the moss covered trees etched it out for beauty.



The camp site I reached had heaps and heaps of dry wood around. Normally too tired or late to make a fire but tonight I felt good and had some spare paper A4 map sheets that needed desposing of so it made sense to make a fire. It's also apparently a good way to lure other hikers to site should you want company.

Turns out there's still a few mountains and passes to conquer, and 2 of the passes were today. Lots more moss.covered trees and views abound. At one point you followed along a ridge for about 3 miles with near 360° views the entire time.

Eventually made it to the Peter Grove hut and after a long day it was a welcome site. A nice hut like the ones in the Vic High Country that hikers can seek shelter for the night. When I arrived 1/2 was occupied by a 10 strong group of summer camp children (+3 camp councillors.) They were making a big batch of been and rice burritos and were happy to share with a thru hiker!!



Some of the kids were pretty interested in my accent and the hike I'd been on and the councillors did a good job of running interference when I needed to organise bed/gear for the night. As I had just got a fresh resupply from home I also had some spare Tim-Tams so I was able to give the kids a taste from home. The councillors had to split one but all were thankful.
The hut also had a long drop, well it was more of a looong drop. First time I have seen a 2 story outhouse.



The miles seemed to drop quickly and breaks were cut short due to bugs (Mozzies at the first stop, flies at the second and stoners at the third) so I made the planned camp just before 4pm. Since it was so early I pushed on and made my first 30 mile day! 30.8 to be exact. Still had time to see some good views and find some survey bearing trees and corner marks, recently marked up with fresh flagging tape.



Despite feeling good about the achievement I'm not sure I'd like to do too many long days. I did find myself looking just at the path 1 meter in front the majority of the time. Some people only see the finish line, which is fine, but I want to see everything on the way.

An easy few miles into Sierra City to a friendly little General store with free wifi, charging station and a Pound burger for early lunch. Selection in the store is a little slim but enough for a resupply. Soon as batteries are recharged I'll hike on.

2 comments:

  1. The long drop got me thinking, as I'm guessing a shovel is to heavy to carry, so what happens in the woods ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I carry a titanium trowel which isn't much bigger than a dessert spoon but does the job.

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger