Sunday 28 August 2016

Hiking - 2016 PCT - Day 121 to 127

Early morning trip to the post office. Unfortunately package 2/2 from home either got lost in the mail or hasn't arrived yet... I was still able to retrieve my bounce bucket and also managed to ship off all remaining resupply packages for the rest of the trip.



Hitch seemed to take a long while, but in reality only took 20 min.  It's a busy hwy where lots and lots of cars passed by before someone camping at a lake near the trail crossing stopped to give me a ride.
Just a few miles from the road I reached the 3,220 kilometer mark (that's 2000 miles for the folks over here!) After the milestone I wound around the back of a beautiful mountain with red rock veins through it before finally finding a spot on a protected ridge with a great view of Mt Jefferson.



Woke up to a brisk morning but got going fairly quickly. Another beautiful for rested section even if it was a little cold most of the morning. I stopped for lunch by a great creek fed by the snow melt of Mt Jefferson.

Strolled into Ollalie Lake for a 'quick' stop. Mad Dog, an Oregon native who had planned to hike the trail but had to hop off due to injury, had an esky full of beer ready to share. So the quick stop before another mile or two turned into 3 hours and camping by the lake, setting up after dark...


Had an amazing nights sleep and pumped out the miles for the day. By mid arvo last nights activities did seem to catch up but I still managed just over 30 miles for the day. Filled water from an awesome flowing spring coming straight from a rock and found a good site to camp soon after.

Had a shorter day to make it to Timberline Lodge to relax and wait until the following morning for their famous breakfast buffet. Lot of steady but easy elevation gain as we approached Mt Hood.

The last 2 miles on Hood itself were on glacier crushed rock that was basically sand. Uphill on sand with all the gear in my pack crainy worked the calf muscles.



After setting up camp just shy of the lodge I went in for a late lunch and a few beers with some other hikers. It was well and truly dark by the time I went back to camp but a half moon and clear sky made it easy. Only a few sparse trees to cast a shadow as we were basically at the tree line.

There was a 200 mile relay race starting from the lodge... so the an announcements for the starting times got me up nice and early.for the breakfast.  Well 5am... 2.5 hours before breakfast was served. Gave me plenty of time to pack up and enjoy the free cofree in the lodge.

Breakfast exceeded already high expectations with everyone getting more than their fill. Most hikers were pretty lathargic after the feast, raking the opertunity to sit on comfy couches and use the available phone service. I took the time to find my second package and arrange to have it sent on.

By that time it was time for the lunch buffet but only one other hiker and I partook. Didn't get as much value as I did at breakfast but with roast pork, beef and the desserts I certainly got my money worth.

After a short recovery I hiked out for a 'mostly downhill' day. Don't believe that, ever, when a hiker describe the next section. Up and down the valleys carved into Mt Hood saw us climbin almost as much as descending. Along the way there were some beautiful views and near the bottom of one valley Ramona falls was a great reward.


We followed the Eagle creek trail down some very steep sections and beautiful forest. There was also 15 falls/creeks in a 12 mile stretch. Highlight was Tunnel Falls where there was a shot 10m cave you could walk behind the falls.



Made it into Cascase Locks late afternoon and joined a few hikers at the Ale house.  Tracking on my new shoes was still saying that they were in transit but thankfully they had arrives.  Stayed at Shreks house, a trail angle in town.
Will hang about for the day as it's probably the last descent town I'll be close to on trail. For now hanging around in a hammock and having a nice cold beer is a good way to pass time.

2 comments:

  1. Christine Grattan29 August 2016 at 07:59

    Good to hear you are enjoying all the food options over there. I don't think I'll take up the challenge in my kitchen. There are obviously lots of generous people over there on the Angel list with all the trail magic. I don't think I would have believed how much of it happens unless you were detailing it๐Ÿ˜€
    Glad your shoes were there and the box from Oz was located๐Ÿ˜€
    The new neighbour behind us has moved in and the work will probably be finished this week. It will be an interesting body Corp meeting when it happens๐Ÿ˜€
    Thomas is now continually thinking about house plans for his block. He has put a lot of effort into cleaning up the land and the shack should be liveable for them in a month or so.
    Callan has settled in well here. She is going to get a transfer to the Beenleigh woollies bakery and has done a fill in day there already. She really enjoyed it so that was good. It will be so much easier than the drive to Booval. The hours at Beenleigh are also much better with 5 am starts (I think) and much more organized roster and more worker support.
    Love and hugs, Mum and Dad๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€❤️❤️๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos, particularly the crate lake from the last post.

    I also noticed the skittles, but there's no way I'm walking the 20km to get any :-(

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger