Saturday 1 October 2022

Bibbulmun Track - Day 16 - 19

Day 16
Slept ok overnight but kept a similar bed time and stirred a bit around 130am before getting back to sleep. Woke up 6ish and enjoyed the free breakfast, just some cereal and toast, but good spreads. Pretty relaxed morning, just past 830am before I started putting the kit back together.

As I went to leave I realised the small holes I noticed in my hat a few days ago turned into a big rip (most likely in the washing machine) so I had to use some tenacious tape to stick it back together. Its done pretty well the OR Helios, I picked it up new not long before doing the PCT in 2016.. so probably more than 7,000km of use. I think it will last the trip, but only gentle hand washes from here on.


All fixed!!

Said goodbye to Shay who has had a similar pace since about day 6. He's going to zero here today but will likely catch up when I zero in DRV. The track out of Collie is pretty good for a while. You reach Collie River which looked beautiful and follow it for a bit. After you cross a bridge you divert away and start a small climb. Starting to see a few different, and tall, gum trees.


The rest of day was a lot of forestry/4wd tracks and not very exciting. Weather is warming up a bit too. 25° today but fairly exposed because of the wide tracks and scrub bush so it feels a bit hotter. Got into camp around 130pm to sit out the afternoon heat. 4 for the hut tonight, including a 64yo Karen and 68yo Peter. Demographics do seem to trend older on this trail...

Day 17
Sort of a weird morning. No real rush to get going because there was the Mumby Pub at the 12km mark (2.3hrs hiking) which only opened at 1130am. As the trail walks us literally within 3 meters of the front door its definitely stop worthy. Mulling around camp was odd though and I still left by 8am.

The track runs along side a little dam, filled with clear water, with its banks spotted by families camping before crossing over the dam wall and continuing up a hill. Found a nice spot to have a rest for a while where "Just Jess" and "Kiwi Karen" caught up and stopped too. Got going again shortly after to see a guy called Tom (heading North) who is going for the Fastest 'Self Supported' (no outside help) Bibbulmun track time. He was on target so I wished him well and let him keep going. 


Pub lunch was amazing, I got a good sized Parmi and some Garlic Bread... plus maybe a beer or two. Leaving the lab was following another rail line for about 1.5km which was nice before turning off up a dirt road and up a 150 ish m climb.... 


Exposed to the sun with the pleasant aromas wafting in from the cattle properties on either side wasn't the most fun, but it was good motivation to keep moving... near the top of the hill you're back into National Park and only a few k more to the hut. Dry creek running past the front of the hut, would make a great place to soak feet when running... but that would likely mean a lot of hiking in the rain... 

The campsite logbook has multiple mentions of a problem possum and there is a hard plastic tub for overnight food storage which i guess i should use. 4 again, all in the hut.

Day 18
Only just over 22km today so no rush in the morning. Ended up with the pack on and moving by about 730 anyway... few new flowers today including an Enamelled Orchid. Looks like someone has put a fake wax flower out on trail... There was also a pretty two toned flower that lined the trail for what seemed like ages. 


Another warmer day today topping at 27°c. Hills in the morning weren't bad but as it got closer to noon the sweat was dripping from my forehead. Found a good spot for lunch around 11am but sadly there were some flying vampires thinking I was good for lunch. Not many though and bugs overall have been minimal thus far. 

On the next leg I saw another boofy Blue Tounge sunning track side and made pretty good time seeing me get into the hut at 1230. Really felt like pushing on... but another 23km to town was bit far for the afternoon... would be a good day to push another 10 and bush camp... Had a friend when I arrived at the shelter. Should keep the other bugs away... Not sure I've ever seen a Huntsman on a Web before. WA versions of animals are weird...


3 more NOBO (North bound) hikers joined us making it 7 in the shelter for the night.

Day 19
Town day today which got some people up and early, leaving before 6am. Two of the NOBO were in a rush and off not much after. I stayed in the warm bag a little longer but still made it out by 7am. 23km so I aimed to get to town for lunch. 

There were heaps more enameled orchids today and I discovered the back of their petal is pretty cool too. They still look fake though. Lots of other flowers along the way as well. Few hills including one pretty steep down along side a barb wore fence... wouldn't want to slip and reach out to grab something stable... 




Started getting a pain on top of my right foot just before the toes after about 10k. Stopped to treat it and found the tongue of my shoe had creased and was digging in. Some Leukoplast on the foot, and another piece in the shoe to hold it up, and it seemed better for the second half.

Getting into town you walk along a river and past a few well kept town ponds. I went to the Visitor Centre to pay for camping (town park) $13 for some grass and access to toilets/shower across the road at the AFL ovals locker room. Not too bad.

Had a Cafe lunch and enjoyed some free port tastings... not really my deal usually but the 'Blueberry Bliss' was nice. Transit park is actually on trail... back the way I walked in... by about 800m... So I went to the modest all in one general store/bottle shop/servo, just 2 nights of food so not a bad carry. Plenty of food to get anyone through, Visitor Centre had some hiker meals too.

The others I had hutted with last night had private AirBnB or Hipcamp type places (some rent out Caravans in their backyard etc.) So I headed to the park alone. I met a NOBO hiker who is staying at the park and it looks like at least 2 other spots were booked so maybe more hikers or caravans to come later. 

Next 'town' is Donnelly River Village in 3 days and when I get there I'll be just over halfway! My current shoes were already well used before the hike so I have already got a new pair waiting for me there too :)

2 comments:

  1. Good on you Scott👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful wild flowers. September is the best time for them

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger