Monday 10 October 2022

Bibbulmun Track - Day 20 - 23

Day 20
No others arrived and the NOBO ended up setting up their bed under the awning of the sports locker rooms. It rained a bit last night but I stayed dry in the tent. Left the tent up until about 730 to let it dry a little in the morning. 

On the walk into town I saw a a mummy and daddy duck with a dozen little ducklings. In town by 8am, just in time for the cafe to be opening and had a huge bacon focused breakfast.


 
On the way out of town I caught up with Kiwi Karen and we walked through most of the Tree park, with various (quite old) trees from all around the world. There is a long climb just past there which saw me get a bit of distance and keep going.  



The large breakfast wasn't exactly conducive to a fast pace today though, barely cracking 4.5kph. Short 17km day so it wasn't that important anyway. Stopped just past the halfway mark to enjoy a cool Spider Orchid and relax a bit. Also passed so open meadow farmland before ducking back into the bush. 



Back into more farmland with a herd of cows and lots of calf's. Bet they would make a better dinner than my side of pasta and beef jerry for tonight... on through a pine plantation and to Blackwood hut which has a great view. 

Got in pretty early so I got the tent out to fully dry it. Just one other at the hut tonight, Sharon, a new face thats just doing a short section. A couple extra pushed on for another 2km to stay in a donga on someone's farm. Sounded about as fancy as the free hut... A kangaroo came pretty close right near sundown and hung about for at least 20min before hopping of. Temps dropped real quick and I was in my bag pretty early. 


Day 21
Was a pretty cold morning and fog filled the valley below. Just out from camp you're on a very steep decline with a clay track... with the morning dew you'll want very gripping shoes. Thankfully mine went pretty good.  

Got to the bottom and then followed along side a beautiful river at the back of some farm properties for a few k before crossing a bridge and going right back up the other side of the valley. One of the properties had a table and an esky full of fresh fruit! You eventually reach a dam but the only view is the base of the dam wall before you turn away and continue up another incline.  



A few more short hills, one with a huge flock of Black Cockatoos SQUARKing the entire climb up. It wasn't long though before I reached camp. Just after 11am in fact.  A quick 18km today, even with the hills. There was a coin left behind in the trail register box at camp so I gave it a flip. Heads I move on, tails I stay. It landed on tails.

3 others eventually came in shortly after lunch. 2 who had gone a extra 2k yesterday for the farm stay and Sharon from last night.The Brooke was empty so no opportunity to soak feet. Plenty of time to collect wood though so it looks like a good fire tonight. 

Day 22
Town day today so people were stirring early again. I unzipped the sleeping bag about 620am, it was still cold but I was wide awake... left camp at about 645.  

Nothing really major elevation wise today. Fairly easy track and I was powering along when a stupid tiny moth flew right into my eyeball. I blinked as soon as it hit and the little bugger got stuck in my eyelid! After scooping him out I used some water to flush my eye and it was feeling fine.  

Pulled into Donnelly River Village about 11 and went straight to the General Store/Cafe. I got a room in the old school, where they have converted some rooms into bunk rooms. The 'Town' is an old timber mill town. Long since shut down. Its setup like a caravan park and rents out the old workers cottages as cabins. They also have 2 mock Bibbulmun Huts in the school yard you can sleep for free, then pay for shower/kitchen access. 

When I got to my room at the school some hikers must have been zeroing and have their gear spread out... so /every bed/ (all 12) had something on it... from 5 people.... guess I'll just wait till they get back to see where I can sleep. I understand pack explosions when you first arrive but you must know other people are on their way in, tidy your shit. 

I was able to plug in my power bank and have a shower at least. Phone service is almost non existent. A small patch near the school oval seems the best for 1 bar of 4g... I went down to the store and then laundry to wash the clothes. The Emus are well fed here by tourists so they thought my laundry bag must have been a big food bag and followed along for fifty or so meters.   



I had a resupply box here too, New Shoes!! You could get away with a full resupply from their 'store' (think caravan park kiosk) but I'm glad I sent some extra food here with my shoes. 

Dinner needs to be ordered before 330pm, kitchen likes to finish cooking around 4... There is a microwave in the school kitchen to reheat food if needed. I ended up with a slab of frozen lasagne,. I planned a zero here to kick about in the new shoes but otherwise let the feet have a rest day... not 100% sure its worth another night... 

Day 23
Bed was really comfortable and there was heavy rain for some of last night so it was good to be out of the weather. At some point there was a pair of screeching possums on the roof having a go at each other but otherwise a good sleep. 


There were about 9 people moving on today. 3 I had spent the last few days with and 6 that were taking a zero yesterday. Not wanting to be the 10th in the shelter I decided to zero myself. The fact that it started raining at 7am also played a part in my decision.  Hopefully tomorrow is quieter and dry, two others I hiked with from Dwelly should catch up too. 

Kangaroos out grazing early in the morning and even a mum with a joey in pouch was blaise about my approach and let me snap a few pics. No breakfast until 830... I was hungry. Then I did the (short) history walk around town and how it ended up being a sudo Caravan park (without caravans or campers.)   


There's a longer (5km) King Karri Tree walk... but I think just the loop was enough for today. It was raining on and off most of the day so I sat in the cafe/general store by the indoor fire relaxing the day away. 

They have 'BBQ packs' to buy and some communal gas BBQs but it was 20$ for a 300g rump and a snag so I ended up with the $17 Coconut Chicken Curry for dinner. This one i had the option. Hot at 4pm, or frozen.  As the kitchen still closed at 4 I chose to reheat it closer to an actual dinner time...

Spent some time in the afternoon playing cards with a Munda Biddi rider before another fairly early night. Next town Pemberton in 5 nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Blogger