Tuesday 11 October 2022

Bibbulmun Track - Day 24 - 29

Day 24
Another quite lazy morning with a sleep in. Wanted to hang around for breakfast and only have 16km to go... so there's definitely no rush. I got all set to leave around 1030am, pack on and everything. Then a light shower started... so I waited. Then it got heaver... so I waited longer.  

It was probably only 15min before it stopped but even more dark grey clouds were on the horizon... So I went and hid at the cafe near the fire. Only 16km.... no rush. Shay and Jess had the same idea so we ended up playing cards and finally set off one by one after lunch.   



I was last to head out and caught up to Shay who had stopped for a break. There was a few light showers but nothing like the rain I was watching this morning. I eventually caught up to Jess, stopped 1.2km from camp. She had some hot spots on her feet and had stopped to tape them. 

I continued on to find a beautiful campsite hut, right by the waters edge. They even had a semi-dry wood storage with Jarra (good burning wood) and an axe for splitting it. Obviously getting a fire going was first priority over setting up bed. Shay was greatful when he arrived because, despite the 18° ish air temp and cloudy skies, he had decided to go for a swim at the last creek bend. 



I choked down some Back Country Spag Bog (remind me never to buy that type again) and enjoyed the fire, with intermittent showers interrupting the warmth, until bed time. 3 for the hut tonight. 

Day 25
Awoke surrounded by fog to a chilly 5°c while the other two started stirring. I stayed put in my sleeping bag until about 715 when my watch was showing a barmy 7° . . .  

Breakfast today was some amazing ANZAC Biscuits I had put in the same box as my new shoes that were delivered to DRV. Thanks Mum! Bit of a cold start but warmed up ok. Some grey clouds in the morning but no rain.  

15ish km into the day I reached the official half way point! Stopped there for a decent lunch where Jess caught up, which was good for photos, we were soon joined by another NOBO hiker so it was good to chat and find out what the next half entailed. 


Made it to the shelter about 2pm to find a family of three already had 2 tents setup in the shelter... soon after 2 more came in before Shay arrived making it 8 for the night, 7 in the hut. Another good woodpile and one of the other hikers brought in a firelighter cube, which made starting the still damp wood much easier. 

Day 26
Another chilled morning so another sleep in. I finally broke camp at 8am and got moving. Today had been described to me as a 'Tough Day' and a 'Roller-coaster' but it started out fairly mild. 

We were still tracking along the river, though most of the day you wouldn't know it. You're just far enough away that you can occasionally hear it. First hill was a bit like the start of a roller coaster. Gradually but steadily climbing. Then you hit the gullies and its up/down/up/down...  



At the top of the hill I came across another Tiger snake... Almost stepped on it. Despite some encouraging from a distance it refused to move so I tracked around it. Still staying just on the side of the trail after I had passed. I had just overtaken Shay who was having a quick break so I pulled up to give him a heads up. Before he could bush bash around (much wider and more cautious, and smarter probably, than my track) Jess also caught up. 

I let them lead as they are a touch faster on the go. More Roller-coaster gullies before a huge descent down to a nice creek. I knew we were near the river most of the day so I packed light this morning on water which had just ran out. So I collected another litre as they both set up off the hill out of the creek line.  

150 ish meters of climb, so definitely less than other mountains I've done, but the fresh 1kg on my back, plus the hill going straight up, no switchbacks, slowed me down. I questioned whether I should have stopped for lunch to have a rest first...  

Finally up top of did find a nice patch to rest. First time I had phone signal in days... which I lost as soon as I sat down for lunch... Lots of flies buzzing about so I stayed a bit shorter than my normal break and pushed on.  

Most of the day was done but the rest of the trail to camp was a similar steep Roller-coaster ride. Despite the shorter day (just over 20km I didn't get into camp until near on 2. There was a good water hole at camp but that meant many mozzies :( Good waterfall for a foot spa though. 




Right near the hut Shay was able to point out some Snail Orchids. I had seen them on trail and they're kinda neat but I thought they were just weeds :o Shay moved on to bush camp but another section hiker joined us for the night making it 3 again. 



Day 27
I spent the late evening watching a few Mardo (native mouse) perform like they were in a Circus traipse show trying to get to the handing food. Thankfully unsuccessfully. Through the night I could hear a TWANG of the hanging cord, followed by a THUD, and then the distinct twirl of the plastic bottles. I was always too slow to catch it in action though. 

Overcast morning so a bit warmer which meant I could get back to my 7am starts. I was aiming for a waterfall for lunch but the rain hit about 800m short of it so I pushed on. Not heavy rain thankfully but enough that I didn't want to sit in it.  



The next stop to get to was Beedleup Falls. Car accessible, so picnic tables and shelters to hide under. I stayed for a while and had a small amount of service so I could check accom options for Pemberton. The Falls themselves were flowing well and a nice little suspension bridge provided a good vantage point.  



I knew the Falls were close to camp, Beedleup Hut, but when I checked it was just under 1.4km to camp. Which I still made just after 1pm. More Snail Orchids right by the hut and a cute little Blue Wren hopping about with his harrem. The hut sits on the river and I dipped my feet but could only last 30 seconds. 



Shay had decided to hike on again to make the day into town tomorrow shorter. There was a deck of cards in the Log Book box so Jess and I played cards and about 3 a NOBO hiker turned up. Informing us of two more to come. L-Shaped hut (not one with the loft beds) but plenty of room for all 5. None wanting to tent with still grey skies. 



Day 28
The rain waited until the middle of the night and came down pretty heavy. Woke to the sound of very heavy rain about 430am and tried to ignore it and go back to sleep. Didn't work too well. 

Rats (or more Mardo?) Were about again. One of them managed to shimmy down to a food bag hung by fishing line (perhaps to short and it base jumped to it) and made a mess of the bag and some food of one of the other hikers. Another had a (finished) plastic bottle which had port, just a cheap water bottle, which also had a hole chewed through it. My bag seems to remain safe for now.  

The rain seemed to come and go in waves. Heavy, light, gap, repeat. So during the next light spot I got ready to head out and as soon as it stopped I made my way. While I was still getting a few drops from the high canopy of Karri trees and a bit of misty showers the real rain didn't hit until 4k in.   



By 10k I saw a glimmer of hope in the form of a faint blue skies. The sun was struggling to fight through the grey clouds, mostly unsuccessfully. It wasn't until about 12k when it was strong enough to make a shadow. Despite the rain and soggy trail it went pretty fast. There was also another farmers paddock to cross, with stiles to get over the fences. 



Some of this section has been chewed up by trail bikes though. In the softer areas you can see where the weight of the bike+rider sunk into the soil. Certainly makes you pay more attention to foot placement... Though I would probably prefer that to the 1.5 ish km on the sealed track around the lake... Pretty lake though.



Made it to town in time for lunch and found Shay eating at the cafe. He had camped just shy of town last night, came in for breakfast/resupply and decided to stay for lunch. Was a short catch up though as he left just after lunch to get to the next shelter. 

I checked into the motel, decided on another zero as the new shoes are still settling in. No new blisters but definitely a few hot spots. Free laundry and hot shower but the TV only seems to get SBS, 7 and 9... Late afternoon I went to the IGA to make a partial resupply and then onto the pub for dinner. Where I found no other hikers... Peter and Karen eventually arrived for dinner. 

Hotel is about 800m out of town... up a hill... and it rained on the walk back... at least its actually the same direction as the trail, so the day I leave will be 1km shorter... 

Day 29
Easy breakfast that I picked up at the IGA but otherwise a very lazy morning. Didn't venture out until I met with other hikers for lunch. On the way back I picked up some small supplies and new socks. I'll keep wearing the Vermont Darn Tough until they fail, but its nice to have a backup.  

Back in the room it was time to sort supplies and repackage things into ziplock bags instead of their bulky original containers. Filled the little motel bin with waste which is a little sad that I need to use so much plastic, but better than carrying it.   

For diner it was another walk (1.6k return... for the third time in the last two days) into town for dinner. Jaspers Whiskey Bar for dinner. Can't have a big night though, hiking out in the morning...

1 comment:

  1. Terrific to read about your days! Glad the Anzac biscuits lasted well ❤️ Your destination is getting closer๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete

Behind the Blogger