Monday 12 September 2022

Bibbulmun Track - Pre Hike Prep - Day 0


Preparation for the next little adventure has been underway for a while.
This time I embark off to the Bibbulmun Track.  

The Bibbulmun Track is one of the world’s great long distance walk trails, stretching 1000km from Kalamunda in the Perth Hills, to Albany on the south coast, winding through the heart of the scenic South West of Western Australia.

-Bibbulmun Track Foundation.





After a bit of a pad failure on my Thorsborne Trail hike I had to arrange a replacement (after a full refund from Thermarest) but otherwise my gear was all sorted... up until I broke a trekking pole shaft on a little warm up weekend hike... No worries as I was able to cannibalise one of my other poles to hobble together a Zombie pole to see me through. 

The trail is very well supported by towns (though the first leg of 211km is a bit daunting for a food carry) however I still plan to send off 1 resupply box with some new shoes (as my current pair already have ~400km on them) and couldn't resist throwing in some comforts from home to fill up the box. Like mum-made Anzac biscuits!  

I put together most gear the last weekend, giving me the chance to add all the things I likely forgot (surprisingly little this time...) over the week and did some food shopping, with the plan to buy more after I land in Perth. 

Trekking Poles are always interesting to pack for a flight. I wrap the pointy tips in cardboard and tape and they (just) fit into my pack collapsed.  


Putting it all together also gives me a chance to weigh it, just under 6kg... but a few little bits and bobs (like battery pack) still to add in should round up my Base Park Weight (without counting Food/Water) to just under 6.5kg. A respectable weight without sacrificing too much comfort at all. 

You can check out my full kit here; https://lighterpack.com/r/2fovcq


All that was left to do was to make a watering plan for the pot plants I am leaving behind and mow the lawn.  

Today was an early start. What a silly time 4am in the morning is. M very generous and lovely partner took me to the airport and after some final good byes I headed in to check in the bag and join the zombie march through security, surrounded mostly by hi-vis orange. I also maybe a sneaky ham and cheese Crossiant as second breakfast, have to carb load before a hike you know!  

Flight was on time at least and we were off at 630am. Flight was about as good as you could expect for 4 hours in a metal tube. Aisle seet helps I think and Qantas, despite their other failures, has decent on board entertainment.   

After landing it was a short tide up to Kalamunda. I got dropped at the Perth Hills Discovery (Tourist info) Centre and had a chat to the lovely people inside. I signed the trial register then headed into town. 

North Bannister Roadhouse (my first partial resupply) is closed for Reno's, so ill need a bit more food... Next stop at the Mitre 10 to grab some hiking gas and then Coles for snacks. The food bag was 3.1kg before I left home and probably rounded up to over 4kg after the extra 2.5 days worth. 


I had to pass by the starting gates to get through to tonight's accom. Stipped and had a chat with Gerome who just finished and Terry who was just beginning his 4th End to End (E2E.) He was heading 11km to the first shelter tonight (I am hoping to make it there for smoko tomorrow morning.)  


Its about 800m to the Perth Hills BnB. A cosy place with a few old rail carriages converted into rooms. Bit fancy to begin a hike, but I'm worth it. The plan for the rest of today is to kick the feet up for a while but then head back into town for dinner. 



Next town is 211km and I should reach it after 8 days hiking. 

Let's go Hiking!!

1 comment:

Behind the Blogger